The Open Access Initiative is the informal platform for the experience exchange between the university librarians who are interested in the open access and building the repository infrastructure issues for a long time.
The Initiative was founded as a result of the discussion during the Czech DSpace User Group Meeting in 2010.
The Open Access Initiative performs the goal of the ALCU Key Activity 1 (Support of the open access as a change in scholarly communication).
The importance of the activities of the Initiative was affirmed by ACLU that signed The Berlin Declaration in 2012 and became a member of the SPARC Europe in 2015.
- Information support of the open access model and principles
- Observation of the local as well as global development of the open access (a competition between the green and gold open access models)
- Observation of the other trends – e. g. open science, open research data
- Publication ethics (predatory publishers issue) in the context of the open access model
- Observation of the traditional model of subscriptions of the electronic information resources in the context of the change of the publishers‘ business models
- Arranging work meetings, seminars and workshops
- Administration of the communication channels – webpages Open Access.cz, FB and Twitter pages
- Attendance of its members at the important international conferences and seminars
- Involvement in the international activities (SPARC Europe, DOAJ, OpenAIRE)